Thursday, February 19, 2009

Vision

Most people don’t wake up in the morning and think about their vision. I do. I wonder if I will wake up with clear or cloudy vision, and that’s just my eyesight. I was born with cloudy lenses. I didn’t have a clear picture of the world or my place in the world. While most people aren’t born with cloudy eyesight, many of us go through our lives without a clear picture of what we want. Like the sand on the beach, we sometimes wait for the next tide to pull us in another direction without really knowing where we are going.

When I graduated from high school, I had no idea what I wanted to do or be. I can hardly remember having any dreams, goals, or plans. I waited for opportunities to come to me. I still had cloudy vision, and no idea who I was or what I wanted. Some people seem to know from an early age what they want to be. They seem to have an internal map providing a direction and sense of purpose. They may even demonstrate remarkable talents at an early age. But just knowing your talents and abilities isn’t enough to clarify your vision. Your talents are the abilities that you are born with, and your vision lets you know how you want to use those abilities.

Vision
The ability to see
-Encarta World English Dictionary


Having vision is more than the ability to see with your eyes. Your vision is your picture of the future. Your vision includes your dreams, expectations, and unconscious desires. Honoring your vision and valuing your dreams gives rise to your imagination and creativity.

Vision
“the ability to think about or plan the future with imagination or wisdom.
-New Oxford American Dictionary


I call this a vision map. Whether your map is clear or vague, you have some kind of picture or expectation for your future. You may have a picture framed by fear of the future and limiting beliefs, or you may see a world full of opportunities. But even people who have a very clear picture need to broaden their landscape. Like taking your camera lens from zoom in to zoom out, we need to take time to look at the bigger picture. If you know what you want to do, what you like about the things you are doing, and where to look for opportunities, you will stay resilient and ready for the future.

Having a clear vision of your expectations opens up opportunities for living in the moment, challenging limiting beliefs, and changing course to adapt to new opportunities and adventures. If your vision is unclear or you are experiencing difficult life transitions, contact Nancy Miller, MS., LifeWork Coach.




This website is intended for informational purposes only. Comments are open to the public and not endorsed by the author. For career advise, coaching, or counseling, please seek out a professional who can meet your personal needs.

Nancy Miller, M.S., Career Management Consultant
Copyright Center for LifeWork Design © 2007
Reprint by permission only – www.centerforlifeworkdesign.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts and ideas.